SOWN ENOGGERA CATCHMENT PLAN
Background and Context
SOWN commenced the preparation of a SOWN Enoggera Catchment Plan in 2020. The plan will be a policy and action plan to guide the activities of SOWN over the next 10 years.
The SOWN Management Committee will guide and make decisions about the preparation of the plan.
Objectives of the Plan
Based on the objectives of SOWN as set out in the constitution, the following Objectives have been adopted for the plan:
- To rehabilitate and maintain the environmental health of Enoggera Catchment waterways;
- To rehabilitate and maintain linked bushland areas along waterways;
- To protect and improve biodiversity in the catchment;
- To respond to the impacts of climate change;
- To encourage community participation, awareness and education in SOWN activities; and
- To identify policies and priority actions for SOWN.
Time Horizon and Area Covered
The plan will have a 10 year time horizon and include a 5 year action plan that can be reviewed annually.
The geographic area covered by the plan will be the whole of the Enoggera catchment area. The attached map shows the Enoggera catchment in the context of the Brisbane City area.
This includes the National Park upstream of the Enoggera Reservoir and the tidal reaches of the creek downstream of Bancroft Park weir..
Program and Activities
It is intended to complete the Enoggera Catchment plan by mid-2021. The proposed program and activities will be influenced by what is possible the Covid 19 restrictions.
March – October 2020
- Information and data collection
- Preparation of maps
- Consultation with SOWN groups, members, partners and stakeholders
- Online survey of members
August – November 2020
- Planning and consultation workshops with group leaders and members (two)
- Planning workshop with SOWN Management Committee
November 2020 – April 2021
- Consolidation of workshop outputs
- Preparation of draft plan document
May – July 2021
- Workshops and online consultation on draft plan
- Finalise and approve SOWN Enoggera Catchment Plan
We have been collecting and mapping new information about the catchment and consulting our members, partner organisations and the general community about what should be in the SOWN Enoggera Catchment Plan. In August we held two workshops for catchment group leaders and from August to October we have surveyed our members online.
Thank you to all who contributed by filling in the survey or attending one of the workshops. We have a wealth of ideas. A summary of the challenges, ideas and proposals put forward has been prepared.
You can view this summary by clicking on the heading above.